Thursday, December 16, 2010

What the Doctor Wants...

Is for pregnant ladies to be calm.  He says it will make for a healthier pregnancy.  Well, luckily this year I'm not stressed by deployment or my ballooning weight (yet) or my blood pressure being through the roof (yet... but hopefully that won't happen).  Nope, this year first we had my mother stressing me out (turns out I was taking her joke the wrong way and she will obey my wishes of NOT FINDING OUT THE SEX), and now we have maternity leave problems (plus now my sister will be coming to the ultrasound, too so yet another person to worry about looking). 

I work at Kansas State University in the Serology Lab there.  I do tests on animal serum.  I have a lot of fun with my job... mainly because I love the people!  I started in June.  Well, my friend (who is also pregnant) went to talk to the HR person about maternity leave yesterday and she reported back to me that people who have not been employed here a year are not covered under the FMLA so they don't get the 12 week maternity leave.  I'm due May 10th... just a month before my 1 year mark!!  I'm meeting with the HR person on Friday to discuss this further, but right now it looks like I will only get paid for the vacation, sick, and comp time I have saved up, then I can take up to a month of non-paid leave without losing my job.  I'm not sure how much leave I'll have saved up by then, but say it's 2 weeks to a month.  I REALLY don't want to leave my 6-8 week old baby!!  :(  Has anyone else dealt with this?  What did you do?  Thanks!!

2 comments:

  1. Look up the FMLA guidelines, it is a year or a certain number of hours. Maybe even though you haven't hit your year mark, you could have enough hours in to keep your position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it is a year. I didn't end up talking to the HR person. I talked to a pregnant pathologist (she always gives GREAT advice), and she told me to talk to my boss first before going to HR. So, I will be doing that soon!! Hope he will work with me on this!

    ReplyDelete